We have less than 35 growing seasons to double food production in order to meet the needs of a nine-billion+ population. Yet Earth’s soil fertility is rapidly degrading and climate volatility is increasing, with the impacts being felt on the frontline by farmers, enterprises relying on crop supplies and governments setting policy. Cervest is changing the landscape for agriculture using cutting edge technology and statistical science to create ‘decision useful’ tools for our users. We are building an AI-powered platform that empowers our users to make better ‘risk aware’ decisions by predicting land productivity, simulating climate impacts and providing early warning signals.
We’re seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Product Designer to join the team. You will be responsible for designing the future at Cervest and your role includes the research, planning and design of great user experiences. From concept to realization, you’ll collaborate across the organisation with scientists, engineers and product managers, business professionals and industry experts towards a shared goal. You’ll use your full range of product design, interaction design and visual design skills to tackle complex problems with outstanding design solutions. You’ll be passionate about creating experiences first and foremost with our end users in mind, despite the scientific complexity behind the scenes.
The role offers a unique opportunity to join an early-stage, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a big impact on our company and our users. We are a team of impatient optimists who want to make a lasting, positive and sustainable impact across the planet. We believe the benefits of AI should be accessible, affordable and used to empower those managing nature’s resources – growers, buyers and policymakers – to adapt to rising climate volatility. Do you believe using technology, science and data to help create a more sustainable future is a huge opportunity for innovation? If so, join the Cervest team and help make an impact at scale.
We believe that a diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner and we’re actively seeking applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
What you’ll be doing:
- Driving product design and UX/UI for our data visualisation / map based products built on top of Cervest’s scientific platform
- Developing a deep empathetic understanding of our user needs using design research methods
- Breaking down complex, multi-part data analysis into actionable intelligence for our users through intuitive interfaces that visually summarise large concepts
- Communicating concepts and designs through, flows, storyboards, sketches, wireframes, prototypes and low + high fidelity comps
- Brainstorming and white-boarding ideas with the product, science and engineering teams
- Creating assets (interaction and pixel specs) and supporting engineers in implementing your designs
- Managing iterative user feedback loops for product-market fit validation
- Establishing data visualisation standards, exploring new and emerging tools to produce innovative solutions
Great if you:
- Have 4+ years of experience with a focus on product design and UI across web platforms
- Have exceptional UX (interaction design) skills and strong UI (visual design) skills
- Have previous experience building data visualisation tools from complex data sets in a compelling way
- Are proficient with Photoshop, Illustrator, or other design tools
- Have a great eye for detail, demonstrate creative and innovative problem solving
- Are enthusiastic for an iterative design process, inspired by group critique but are skilled at avoiding ‘design by committee’
- Have a strong online design portfolio demonstrating design and problem solving ability
Even better if you have:
- A passion for maps and spatial technology (Experience working with spatial datasets such as land use, land cover, hydrological networks, vegetation and imagery is a big plus)
- Experience with Tilemill, Leaflet, Mapbox, GeoJSON or other map design tools / technologies
- Experience creating large and complex data visualisations that comply with WCAG 2.0 guidelines
- Shipped and released products before (Enterprise software experience a plus)
- Passion for sustainability and the problems we’re trying to solve
- Love learning, are curious, know it’s ok to ask for help and be ready to help and support others
What’s in it for you:
- Salary – £70K – 85K / annum (dependent on experience)
- Flexible and remote working – at least 50% – 60% of your time should be spent in our London office
- Opportunities to learn, grow and thrive with support from talented and empathetic teammates
- No agencies, please